September 1, 2006 - Psalms 135-136 and I Corinthians 12

Today, I am writing my notes from home for the first time in three weeks, after having a wonderful visit with my daughter's family and a long sabbatical from my church family. Of course, I will miss seeing my family who live so far away, and I am glad to be home where God has placed me for His service, but there is another feeling that is uppermost in my mind. The world I have left is so different from the world to which I have returned in many ways, but they are still the same. There are many people, the majority, who don't know the Lord Jesus. They don't understand our language as Christians, and it is vitally important that we learn how God wants us to communicate the Good News to them. That is our mission. My eyes see this so much more clearly after being in a different culture for this time. I will try to share some of the insights the Lord has given me over the next few weeks.

As I read Psalms 135 and 136, I was overwhelmed by a sense of praise to the Lord and thanks for what He has done for me. I could never express enough praise and thanks to Him. I should constantly praise Him for being so good. (135:3) I should magnify Him for being the Living God, who does whatever He pleases. (135:6) I should be careful to praise Him as the one who judges His people and has compassion on them. (135:14) Then, I should specifically thank Him for His great mercy, which has led Him to do so much for me. (136:1) The end of the psalm says it so well in verses 23-26. He has remembered me in my lowly state. He rescued me from my self and my sin. Each day He feeds me and cares for me, but not for me alone. He feeds all flesh and cares for them. Spend some time praising God for who He is and thanking Him for what He has done for you. It will bless your soul.

Then, I Corinthians 12 reminds us of His great wisdom and plan for the church. He has given His Spirit to each believer. He has given them gifts through His Spirit, and He has placed them in the body of Christ, the church, just as He wills. Now, we are to love each other, and we are to work together in unison to accomplish His great plan of redemption. Sadly, there is much uncoordination in the body and much confusion about the mission. The mission is to see lives changed and people brought into God's kingdom. The mission is to make disciples and to mold missionaries to impact our world for Jesus, who saved us and blessed us. How is that going in your life? How is that going in your church?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 137-139 and I Corinthians 13.

Popular Posts