Trembling at God's Word
When I read a regular book, I usually try to relax and enjoy what I am reading. When I read something that is very technical, I have to concentrate very hard so I don't miss any details and I understand all of what is being said. Sometimes, that is hard for me, so I have to get someone to help me. However, when I read the Bible it is totally different from reading any other book. It is God's Word. Just the thought that I am able to have the Lord speak to me through His Word makes me take it very seriously.
That is what God wants all of us to do when He speaks to us. In fact, it should even be more than taking it seriously. (Isaiah 66:2) "My hands have made heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the Lord, have spoken. I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at My Word." I wonder how often we really tremble at God's Word? According to this verse we should do that so that God will bless us. Let's consider what God is saying here.
God is awesome. He is the Creator of all things. He is all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving. When He speaks His words have all authority. We should receive them as absolute truth, never questioning what God is saying. When He speaks to warn us about sin, we should tremble at the thought of breaking His laws and being punished. We should even tremble with joy when we read of His blessings, because we are so overwhelmed by His goodness. We should always be profoundly affected by God's words.
This will happen when we are humble and contrite. Of course, if we are humble, we will be submissive to God, acknowledging that He is the Lord, and we are His servants. We should take what He says so seriously that we immediately do what His Word says we should do. At the same time we should be contrite so that we admit our sins, and we are sorry for what we have done. A heart that is humble and contrite will always tremble at the powerful Word of God and be blessed by God. Let's make sure that we receive God's blessing in this way.
#NHBaptistdotorg
Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 1-5.