Very Early in the Morning

 I wonder what most people are doing very early in the morning while it is still dark? I am sure some people have to get to work early, so they are up before it is light to get ready. Others may even work at night, so they are awake before it is light. However, many people are still asleep, and they do not even consider getting up before it gets light outside. I am afraid there are not very many people who follow the pattern of Jesus's life, but that would be the best thing for us all to do very early in the morning. Mark told us about this in his gospel. (Mark 1:35) Jesus got up very early in the morning while it was still dark. He went out of the house and made His way to a deserted place; and there He was praying. Just think about that. The Son of God needed to get alone with the Father first thing in the morning each day. If He needed to do that, how much more do we need to do the same thing?

Every time that I read this verse it has special meaning for me. I remember being introduced to having a daily "quiet time" in the morning when I was living in the dorm at Baylor in 1973. I began immediately trying to make that a habit for my life. It was very difficult, and it took several years before I was consistent in this practice. However, I knew it was worthwhile because each day that I did get up early and spend time with the Lord in prayer I saw the blessings that came. Now, I have my place to spend my "unhurried time" with God. It starts at 5 AM each day, unless I need to start before that because of my schedule. I am able to pray for my needs, my family, our church family, and people who God has laid on my heart. It is a blessed time, and I am refreshed and recharged every day. Now, I would never consider not getting up very early in the morning to pray. I want to encourage all of us to follow the lead of Jesus. Then, watch to see what the Lord will do in and through you.

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Mark 2-4. 

Popular Posts