Abandoning the Lord

Would you ever abandon the Lord? I ask that because I have been a pastor now for 42 years, and I have seen many people who turned their backs on the Lord and on His church. It always grieves my heart, so I know it grieves the Lord. I also try to think about the reasons that people abandon the Lord. I know there are many. Joash, the king of Judah, abandoned the Lord, because his close adviser, Jehoiada, the priest, died. Then, the young king followed the ways of those around him and led the nation to rebel against God and go to idols. Because of that, God allowed them to be defeated by a small Aramean army. (II Chronicles 24:24) This is the reason for defeat in the lives of many people today.

Even though there are many reasons people abandon God, let's focus on the reason Joash left the Lord. He was following what other people said, but he did not have a close relationship with the Lord himself, and he did not have strong convictions about serving the Lord alone. I find that to be true of many people. They go to church because of their parents, their friends, or other people. Then, when the influential person leaves their lives, they simply go the way of those around them and abandon God. It is so sad, but it is true. Sometimes, they are even upset with God when He sends defeat into their lives, to try to get their attention back on Him. However, the cause for their trouble is their own decision to abandon the Lord and His truth. I pray that will never happen to any of us, but if it has already happened, there is good news. If we return to the Lord, He will return to us, but we have to turn to Him with our whole heart.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicle 25-27.

Popular Posts