Our Promises to God

The Bible calls a promise we make to God a vow. Vows are very serious. The Bible is clear that we do not have to make promises to God. That is our choice. However, if we do make a vow, we must make sure we keep it, just like we promised God we would. Jacob made a vow to God at Bethel after he saw the ladder reaching up to heaven and heard from God. He promised God that if God would keep His promise to take care of him and to return him safely to his family one day, that God would be his God and he would give him one tenth of all God gave him. (Genesis 28:20-22) That was a promise that Jacob kept. How have you done on your promises to God?

I know I have made promises to God that I failed to keep. I have had to confess that to God as a sin. I believe He forgave me, but now I am much more careful to keep my promises to Him. I know that once I made Christ my Lord and Savior by trusting Him by grace through faith, I have been faithful to confess Him as Lord to others and to believe in Him. Also, from the beginning of my Christian life, I have given a tenth of all that God has given me. I am so happy to tell everyone that God has honored those promises I have kept by blessing me and my family in many ways. I would encourage all of us to make those two promises to God. Trusting Christ is the greatest promise we make to God, and tithing is related to it, because it is an act of worship by which we show our trust in Him for everything we have.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 30-32.

Popular Posts