Anger

From time to time I write about anger, because the Bible has much to say about it. I had not ever been struck by this verse in Ecclesiastes, but today it jumped out at me. (Ecclesiastes 7:9) I believe it will be a great blessing for all of us to digest what it says, since we all have to deal with anger.

We must never be quick to become angry. That is a very bad trait for anyone to have. However, I have found that some people have anger as their default response to anything that does not please them. I believe that might be what Solomon is saying here, when he refers to not being quick "in your spirit" to be angry. If anger resides in our spirit that is bound to be unhealthy, since he affirms that anger lodges in the heart of fools. I do not believe we ought to be like fools in any way. All of this leads me to the conclusion that if we get angry quickly, and we can't help what we do, then we have a serious problem.

The rest of the Bible is clear about what we should do about anger. When we do get angry, because we encounter something that goes against what we think is right or important, we must not sin in response to that anger. (Ephesians 4:26) Also, we should do what we need to do, and not be angry when it is time to go to sleep. Then, in Ephesians 4:31 we read that believers are commanded to put away all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speaking, and malice. Whatever God commands us to do is possible, because He will give us the ability to do what He commands. Therefore, my conclusion is that when I do get angry, I must put it away by the power of the Spirit and never respond in word or deed in anger. James 1:20 tells us why we should do this, "for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." We will never be able to do God's will, if we try to accomplish it in anger.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ecclesiastes 8-10.

Popular Posts