I am Lovesick

Song of Solomon is a very different book from the other 65 books of the Bible. It is a book about romantic love between a husband and a wife. I believe God inspired it to be written and preserved for us because of the importance of marriage, as the full commitment of one man to one woman for life. Tommy Nelson is a pastor near Dallas, Texas who has written and spoken extensively on Song of Solomon, and I would recommend his teachings on this subject to you. However, today, I want to focus in on being lovesick.(Song of Solomon 5:8)

I have experienced love-sickness many times over the last 38 years. It happens whenever Chris and I are apart for any length of time. On August 18, 1974 God joined us together in a permanent one flesh union. Since then, she has been part of me, and I of her. When we are separated a huge chunk of me is missing, and I get lovesick.

Even when we are together, but we are too busy to spend much time with each other, I have to stop and hug her real tight. I look at her and say, "I miss you." She looks at me and says, "Me, too." Our hearts ache for each other, even after 38 years of marriage. That is a good thing. It is God's design for the marriage of a man and a woman to get closer and closer over the years.

Take some time to read Ephesians 5:22 and following. Notice that the marriage relationship is a picture of our relationship with Jesus, since we are the Bride of Christ. Think about that relationship. Do you get lovesick, when you drift away from Him, and you don't spend enough time with Him? It ought to be even more drastic than the love-sickness of a husband and wife, because He is our Lord and Savior, our Beloved.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Song of Solomon 6-8.

Popular Posts