Too Busy to Care

I remember years ago in Atlanta there was a terrible serial killer, who was targeting young black boys. It was very difficult for the police to find the killer. During the time of the investigation, the newspaper stories were all over the story. Part of the story was that Atlanta had not seen crimes like that before. They called Atlanta "The City Too Busy To Hate." Finally, there was a conviction in the case, and the killings stopped. It was a sad time in our history, but thank the Lord, it came to an end.

Now, I don't think we are too busy to hate, because we have crimes all around us constantly. However, I believe we are "too busy to care." I am mainly talking to believers, but it applies to many people in our society. Yes, it is true that we help people in disasters like the earthquake in Haiti, or the hurricane in New Orleans. I am not really referring to special situations. I am talking about every day caring. We are too busy to express our care in far too many cases, while there are scores of people around us who need a loving touch.

Think about it. When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone you love? Besides a post on Facebook, when was the last time you emailed a special caring message to another person? How often do you call people just to check on them and tell them you care? Are you often too busy to spend time with someone at lunch or over a cup of coffee? I know that many of you do these things, but I think it is good to reflect. I believe our busy lives are keeping us from showing we care as we should. Then, when you consider showing the love of Christ to an unbeliever, how often in a year's time do you do that? How will they ever know Christ's love, if we don't show it to them personally? I pray that we won't be too busy to care.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 16-18.

Popular Posts