Spiritual Strength

Years ago the Lord taught me a great truth about my spiritual strength. It is counter-intuitive. In other words, it is not what you would think. If I had to say what caused me to have spiritual strength, I would venture to say Bible study, prayer, or worship. Then, I might surmise fellowship or just basic discipleship. However, none of these are the Biblical source of spiritual strength.

Now, I am sure the Bible scholars or the ones who have read this blog for years know the answer. It comes from the great revival passage in Nehemiah 8. After the people had called for the Word of God to be read to them as they stood in the open square for 6 hours, they were convicted of sin, and they wept. Nehemiah and the leaders exhorted them to stop weeping. I am afraid I would have been glad they were aware of their sin, and they were dealing with in seriously. However, the leaders knew the result of their constant sadness and lack of joy, so they told them to stop weeping and to remember, "The joy of the Lord is your strength."

When I put that together with the truth from Proverbs that a merry heart does good like a medicine. I see what God is doing. Proverbs also says that a sad heart dries the bones. All of these things sap our strength, but cheerfulness and joy refresh us and build us up. So if you find yourself down in the dumps, don't let yourself stay there. Get up, and get out. Rejoice in the Lord. Count your blessings. Do what ever it takes to allow the joy of the Lord to flow through you, and you will have added strength.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 8-10.

Popular Posts