Shepherd the Flock of God - Ezekiel 33-34 and I Peter 5

Being a shepherd is a huge responsibility. It is primarily a position of leadership. The shepherd has to lead the flock to the places to eat and to drink, so the sheep will grow, and their wool will develop. He has to lead them to safe places and protect them from their enemies. He has to deliver the babies and care for the sick. When a sheep strays, he is supposed to go after that sheep, because he is in charge of the entire flock. God used this analogy to represent Israel. The people were the sheep, and the priests were the shepherds. Ezekiel pointed out that the Lord was upset with the priests, because they did not carry out their responsibility. They were selfish, instead of taking care of the people and leading them in the right way. God told Ezekiel to pronounce His judgment on the priests for this failure. He also chided the people for not listening to Him and the prophets. They were partly to blame, because they heard His Word, but they did not obey His Word. I think this shows the need for a united effort. The flock will do well when the shepherd leads and cares for the sheep, and when the sheep follow the shepherd's instructions.

Isn't it amazing that Peter said the same thing? The flock of God in his day was the church. The same is true today. God has called out leaders to oversee the flock, to lead willingly, and to be examples to the flock. They are under shepherds, and Jesus is our Chief Shepherd. The devil is the lion who is always attacking the flock, so the shepherds show the people how to resist Satan and how to be established in God's Word. The shepherds help with the new believers and to care for those who are hurting. It is a tender scene of a flock or of a family where everyone works together to accomplish God's will.

I thank God for our flock at NHBC. I know that I have an awesome responsibility as the pastor, and the Lord will hold me accountable. It is my heart's desire to lead the flock to grow in quality and in quantity. I want to help care for each person and to encourage each one to be a healthy growing Christian. That is my goal. I know I sometimes fail, but please, pray for me that I will be the shepherd of the flock that God wants me to be for His glory.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 35-36 and II Peter 1.

Popular Posts