Our Model for Ministry - I Kings 14-15 and Luke 22:21-46

One of the ways that God leads us is to give us models to follow. A model is a person who is an example for us. It is a person who shows us what to do and proves to us that God's will is possible. In the Old Testament David was the model for all of the kings. As we read through the books of Kings and Chronicles, we will see how each king was compared to David. This is because except for the case of Bathsheba and Uriah, David was true to the commands of the Lord, and his heart was loyal to Him. He became the standard by which the other kings were judged, because he was the model. Jeroboam failed miserably, and all of the men in his family were killed. One reason God was so harsh is that Jeroboam had a good model, but he refused to follow. On the other hand, we read about Asa. Even though Rehoboam, his father, did not rule like David, Asa did. He went by his model. He lived up to the standard. God blessed him, because of his desire to reign like David. Who is your model? Maybe, you have more than one. Perhaps, you have a model father or mother, whom you pattern your life after. Maybe, you have a model business person. I believe God means for us to receive these models for direction and encouragement. In my life, I wish I had looked to older, wiser people as my models more than I have. I know it would have helped me.

In Luke 22 we read about Jesus being our model for ministry and life. He showed His disciples how to serve by example. We are His disciples. He showed us how to endure hardship and how to pray for God's will. Jesus is our Lord, but He is also our Model. He wants us to know that we can live like He did, because He will give us the power to do so. Many people do not look to Jesus as a model, because they do not think they can do what Jesus did. The Bible says that we will do more than He did. The problem is that we do not realize He is the standard. We are to strive to live like Jesus, and when we do, He will bless us. How do you look at Jesus? Do you think that since He is God, He is in another class, and you can't attain what He did? If we think that way, I believe, we will fall short of what He wants for us. Let's look at Jesus as our Lord and our Model for ministry and life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Kings 16-18 and Luke 22:47-71.

Popular Posts