God Answers the Prayers of Righteous People - Genesis 24-25 and Matthew 7

Abraham was not perfect, but he was a righteous man of integrity, who walked with God for many years. In these chapters we see his love for his wife as she dies, and he grieves for her. We see his integrity as he bought the burial place. Then, we see his love for his son, as he finds a wife for him. However, the greatest thing we see is the prayer of his heart to have a righteous, godly wife for his son from his relatives and not from the pagan people of Canaan. I believe we learn about Abraham from the heart and actions of his servant. He chose his oldest servant, who was over all his possessions to go find the right wife for Isaac. Why did he do that? He was too old to go himself, and he wanted someone who would do it as he would do it. This servant had seen the heart of Abraham for years, and he had come to trust God as Abraham did. Therefore, he found a wife for Isaac through sincere prayer, seeking God's will through a sign. Once he found her, he worshiped God, and gave God all of the credit. Then, he brought her back to Isaac. What a picture of prayer! God answered this prayer before he had finished speaking. (25:15) God loves to answer the prayers of righteous people.

What did Jesus say in Matthew 7? Ask, seek, and knock. However, it is clear that we can't just say words. (v.21) Some people pray, and God does not answer. He is looking for fruit. (v.15-20) He is looking to see their obedience. (v.24-27) When he sees a sincere prayer from a righteous heart that is seeking His will unselfishly, He answers it. I pray that you have had this experience.

When I was in high school, I humbly prayed to God for His will. I asked Him to show me the girl I should date, without me having to ask her. That was a big request, but I really wanted to know His will. Two weeks later, He answered that prayer in a very exact manner. Now, I have been married to that girl for 32 years. I can relate to Abraham's servant. I know that God is faithful. I pray that you will relate to Him in integrity and righteousness, and see Him answer your prayers for His will to be done in your life. Then, give Him all the credit like this servant did.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 25-26 and Matthew 8:1-17.

Popular Posts