September 11, 2006 - Proverbs 10-12 and II Corinthians 4

There is so much for us to consider about God's wisdom in these three chapters of Proverbs, but I want to focus on one thing the Lord said to me. I hope this helps you, but perhaps the Lord needed to say something completely different to you today. Either way, we all need to listen to His instruction and apply what He says to our lives.

God has been speaking to me about the Great Commission a lot lately. (Matthew 28:19, 20) That verse was the focus of my daily devotional reading out of Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God Day by Day, too. Then, when I read these chapters in Proverbs, God touched a cord in my heart about the word "neighbor." Proverbs 11:9 tells us that the hypocrite destroys his neighbor with his mouth, and then verse 12 says that the devoid of wisdom despises his neighbor. When we put these two together, they say volumes about our attitude toward those around us. If we say bad things about people, will we really be able to be a loving witness to them? If we despise our neighbor for some reason, can we also love them with the love of Christ? Do you see the problem? If we are to fulfill the Great Commission, we can't choose to be kind to some people and to despise others, because God wants us to be a witness to everyone. We are not to play God and try to decide who will be saved and who cannot be saved. We are to love everyone with Christ's love and try to show that love in word and in deed. It hurts me to think that I have allowed myself to look at some people in a negative light that keeps me from really loving them, but I am glad God showed me that, so I can repent of that sin.

Then, II Corinthians 4 speaks of having a ministry. In order to minister to others we have to commend ourselves to others. (v.2) How do we do that? We show them that our life lines up with the Word of God we teach. Now, we can't do that in our own power, but we have God's power in this earthen vessel. (v.7) That way when people see Jesus in us, they will give Him the glory, because they know what they saw could not come from a clay pot, but only from God. That is what I want. I want to love others and to live out the Word of God, so they see God in me. Then, I will have the ability to share the truth of God with them, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 13-15 and II Corinthians 5.

Popular Posts