April 27, 2006 - I Kings 1-2 and Luke 19:28-48

It is hard for me to understand politics from a Christian perspective. I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I want to give them the time to change. I want people to be guided by the Lord, instead of having to coerce them to do the right thing. However, I can see that I have been hurt by people who had their own agendas, and it could have been better if I had taken action to stop them in advance. Let's look at this passage from that angle today and let the Lord speak to us in our own life situations.

Chapter 1 tells us how David's son, Adonijah, set himself up as king when David became too old to reign effectively. He gathered several of David's key leaders around him, and he promoted himself. This was contrary to what David had said should be done. He had said that Solomon would be the next king. Therefore, this caused a division in the kingdom. I believe this is true for us. The Bible tells us not to promote ourselves, but to let others do it for us. When we do promote ourselves, it causes divisions. This is especially true when we do it selfishly like Adonijah did here. I believe it is better to let God promote you Himself, or through other people.

After David corrects this problem by having Solomon anointed as king, he tells Solomon to kill Joab and Shimei. Adonijah is killed, too, when he asks for one of David's servants. In this way, Solomon eliminates those who were against him or the ones who tended to have their own agendas. It is hard for me to see that this was necessary, as I said already. However, I do agree that it is important for a leader to have loyalty from his followers. Part of what causes people to be disloyal is that they have encouragement from those who are rebellious. I can see that leaders have to take steps to take away that bad influence and to promote unity.

Luke 19 shows us how God, the Father, planned to promote Jesus before the people. We call it the Triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Jesus is proclaimed the Messiah for all to see. It is important to understand that this was God's will, and it was going to happen even if the stones had to cry out. (v.40) When God intends to promote someone He will do it well. Then, we see Jesus' heart for the city and the people when He wept over them. (v.41) They chose to reject Him, and that rejection was painful to Him. They missed the time of their visitation. (v.44) This was referring to their time to receive Him as Savior and Lord. I beg you not to miss the time of your visitation. When Jesus reveals Himself to you, receive Him as Lord and Savior. That is the most important thing anyone can ever do in this life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Kings 3-5 and Luke 20:1-26.

Popular Posts