November 16 - Romans 1-3

This morning as I began reading the book of Romans again, I was struck by some of the subtle things in the text. I did not get to publish this blog earlier because I was having email problems and a very busy day. However, now I would like to share with you what the Lord showed me this morning.

These three chapters tell us a lot about sin and how sin effects people, especially those who rebel against God. As I was reading the introduction in chapter 1, I realized how humble Paul was even though he was called to be an apostle. He refers to himself as a bondservant of Jesus Christ in verse 1. he speaks of receiving grace and apostleship in verse 5. He says that he is debtor in verse 14. The picture all of this painted for me was that Paul realized he was totally dependent on God for all he was and all he had. He was not a proud person at all. In fact, he speaks of himself as the chief of sinners in another passage. This was the key to Paul's life. He submitted to Jesus as his Lord, and he allowed Christ to guide him and to live through him.

The people who are caught in sin are the opposite of this. They are professing to be wise. (v.22) They do not want to retain the knowledge of God. (v.28) They have hard and impenitent hearts. (2:5) Paul tells them that they need to have their heart circumcised. This is a spiritual way to say that they need an inner change. However, that inner change can only come when they humble themselves to submit to Christ in faith. Their pride prevent this from happening.

Chapter 3 tells us just how serious the sin situation is for everyone. It also tells us that Jesus gives us the solution to the sin problem by providing redemption and justification. Even though people rebel, and they don't want to think about God, if they will turn from their sin, they can be made clean by Jesus. What a loving Savior. He does not just save the beautiful people of this world. Anyone who comes to Him will be saved. That is the wonder of faith. Anyone can exercise faith and be saved by God's grace.

I pray that this message will sink into our hearts as we read Romans. I pray that we will see many hard hearts changed, as people turn to Jesus who loves them so.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Romans 4-6.

Popular Posts