October 28 - Luke 16-18

I have always loved the book of Luke because it contains so many verses that make me stop and think. I believe that since Luke was a physician, he was interested in the deeper sayings of Jesus, so the Holy Spirit inspired him to write them down for us. I am glad he did, aren't you? As you read these chapters, be sure to mark all of the verses you need to come back to and consider later.

In chapter 16 there is the parable of the unjust steward. Many people have told me that this one was the most difficult for them to understand. What do you think? I think the meaning is fairly simple, just unusual. God wants us to be shrewd in our actions, not unjust, because the people of this world outdo Christians many times in shrewdness. (16:8) Then, the story of the rich man and Lazarus tells us that if someone will not listen to the Bible, he will not listen to someone who was raised from the dead. That is amazing, if you think about it.

In chapter 17 Jesus speaks of forgiveness and thankfulness, but he also brings up the point about unprofitable servants. Have you only done what was expected of you? (17:10) I want to be a profitable servant, so I want to do more than I am required. Then, what is the significance of the days of Noah and the days of Lot? Don't we live in similar times of apathy and worldly actions? I think we do, so Jesus might be coming soon. What about the eagles gathering to the body? That is interesting, isn't it?

In chapter 18 we learn about the persistent widow. I think it teaches us more about God than us. He really does want to hear us and answer us. God really wants us to be humble like the publican, and Jesus wants us to know that salvation of a rich man or of anyone is impossible without God. Have you thanked God for His grace lately? I hope so.

See what I mean. These chapters have a lot for us to meditate upon. That is why it is good to mark our Bibles, so we can go back and think about these things.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Luke 19-21.

Popular Posts