May 16 - Job 40-42

What a blessing it was for me to have my unhurried time with the Lord just now. I usually am able to have it in the morning. That is what I prefer but, this time I was driving home from a vacation time. We drove all night, and I was in no condition to meet with the Lord until after a nap and a shower. However, I never want to neglect the Lord or my time with Him, so I was so glad to be able to have my time even though it was later.

The ending to the book of Job is so fantastic! Job finally has his time to address God, but he has nothing to say except, "I am vile." I believe that is the only possible response for a human being who comes into the presence of holy God. Job told God that he had spoken, but now he could not proceed. He realized the folly of his previous words and his previous desire to talk his trial through with the Lord. All Job could do was put his hand over his mouth. I hope you have come to such a place of humility before God. It is the only right standing before Him.

God continues with His address to Job after giving Job the opportunity to speak. I believe His response is to show Job that his previous attitude had been a proud one. God tells Job that if Job can subdue the proud, then He will talk things through with Job. God gives two examples of large proud animals, the behemoth and Leviathan. I do not know exactly what animals are described, but they were real creatures made by God. God's point to Job is that if Job can't deal with these animals, how can he argue with the maker of these animals. God gets His point across. Job's response is to humbly admit that God can do everything. Now, he knows that God's purposes and will are perfect. Job apologizes to God. He tells Him that he was talking about things he did not really understand. Then he makes the most profound statement. "I have heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you."(42:5) Until Job stood in God's presence he had no idea of the majesty and power of God. He admits his fault, and God accepts his apology and his humility.

God rebukes the three friends for their errors in dealing with Job. He tells them to get Job to pray for them, so He won't have to punish them further. It is interesting that it is after Job prays for his friends that Job's possessions are restored with twice as much as before, and his family is restored, too. Job did not hold a grudge against his friends. God wanted to make sure that he would not do that, so He had his friends request Job's prayers. I have found it is impossible to hold a grudge against someone for whom I am praying. Then, besides all of these blessing, Job lived to see four generations of his family. God is so good! Job could not see this in his grief as he looked to the future, but now looking back on it, what do you think he thought about the whole trial? I would think that Job thought it was all worth it, because he came to know God more intimately through this terrible trial. We will all find God faithful like this, if we will trust Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 1-5.

Popular Posts