January 23 - Leviticus 1-6

The worship in the Old Covenant was so different from what I have been used to for all of my life. In Leviticus there are so many sights, sounds, and smells that I have never associated with worship. Can you imagine going to church with the sounds of animals all around? Can you hear the cries of pain as the animals die? Can you feel the animal as you lay your hands on his head to associate your life with his? Can you smell the incense and the blood? Can you see the priests in their fancy robes offering all of these sacrifices for the atonement of the people? This is so much different, but I can see how it would make a big impression on a person about the seriousness of sin and being right with God. Sometimes our worship is so sanitary it is hard to allow it to bring the fear of the Lord.

However, with all of the differences there are many similarities. Man is still a sinner in need of forgiveness. The only way for sins to be forgiven is by the shedding of blood. The Lord looks down with pleasure upon the sacrifices and prayers of His people. He calls us to confess our sins as we approach Him for forgiveness. It is not empty ritual. It all must come from the heart. When we sin, there is restitution to be made. There is the need for repentance, which is seen in the lack of leaven. There is the need for forgiveness of sins even when they are not intentional. Once we realize a sin, it must be forgiven. We still must have that atonement, but now it comes through the perfect blood of Jesus.

It must have been a horrible feeling to know that your sin was the reason an innocent lamb had to be killed for atonement. How much more terrible is it to know that Jesus had to die for my sin? I am so thankful that Jesus loved me enough to die for me. I am so glad that one day I came to claim His death for my sins by laying my heart on Him. Then, He said to me that the atonement was accomplished, and I was made right with God forever.

Popular Posts